The presentation discusses the importance of secure development environments in the face of supply chain security incidents and vulnerabilities in open source code and containers.
- Open source code makes up a significant portion of an organization's codebase, and new packages are constantly being developed, leading to vulnerabilities and breaches.
- Containerization is important for keeping code and infrastructure clean, but vulnerabilities can still surface in containers.
- Developers' integrated development environments, such as Visual Studio Code, are also vulnerable to attacks.
- Secure development environments are crucial for protecting end users and require a shift left approach to security.
- The presentation includes a demonstration of a vulnerability in the Instant Markdown plugin for Visual Studio Code.
The presenters discuss their love for using their 'developer superpowers' to build applications quickly, but emphasize the importance of being mindful of vulnerabilities in open source code and containers. They also highlight the need for secure development environments and demonstrate a vulnerability in the Instant Markdown plugin for Visual Studio Code.