Backstage is an internal developer portal that simplifies software development by centralizing and abstracting end-to-end software development. It comes with three core features, including the scaffolder, tech docs, and search plugin, which enable engineers to create, manage, and explore software components while contributing to collective knowledge.
- Backstage is an internal developer portal that simplifies software development by centralizing and abstracting end-to-end software development
- The scaffolder lets engineers create new software components based on standard templates, which can be configurable with tech docs
- Tech docs enable engineers to contribute to collective knowledge by providing a centralized place for internal technical documentation
- The search plugin makes all documentation discoverable through Backstage search, unlocking the potential of engineers' collective knowledge
- Collective knowledge only happens when more than one person contributes, and Backstage aims to remove the friction of contributing to collective knowledge
- Backstage is open source and can be customized to fit an organization's needs
The speaker shared a story about Emma, who wrote documentation that no one could find because it was not centralized. Backstage solves this problem by providing a centralized place for internal technical documentation, making it easy to find and contribute to collective knowledge.