The presentation discusses the development and execution of the President's Cup Cybersecurity Competition, highlighting the importance of time management and challenge development principles.
- Successful teams knew when to cut and run from a challenge to avoid wasting time
- Limited time affected challenge development principles
- Competitors found new and novel ways to solve challenges despite extensive QA testing
- The finals included individual and team competitions with unique challenges and a cyber escape room
- The development of a platform using TopoMojo and Gameboard allowed for fast deployment of challenges with multiple variants
One of the challenges dubbed 'Double Jeopardy' was considered the hardest challenge in the competition to date, with an average solve time of six hours. However, one team solved it in just 15 minutes, raising red flags. Upon review, the team's approach was legitimate and impressive, demonstrating that no matter how much time is put into challenge development, a competitor will find a new or novel way to solve it.