The presentation discusses the complexity of modern computing systems and the need for proactive measures to prevent outages and incidents. It introduces the concept of chaos engineering and the open-source tool Curviz for Kubernetes security testing.
- Modern computing systems have evolved beyond human ability to mentally model their behavior, leading to increased outages and incidents.
- Software complexity only increases and cannot be decreased, making it challenging for operators to manage.
- Chaos engineering is a proactive approach to fixing issues and navigating inherent complexity.
- Curviz is an open-source tool for Kubernetes security testing, targeting low-hanging fruit such as CIS benchmarks and network configurations.
- Experiments can be run to test configurations and validate changes before they cause issues in production.
The speaker shares an anecdote from their time as Chief Security Architect at United Health Group, where a minute of downtime during the busiest time of year cost over a million dollars. They emphasize the importance of proactively verifying systems to prevent such costly incidents.