The presentation discusses the challenges and solutions for deploying a database on multiple Kubernetes clusters in different regions.
- Deploying a database on a single Kubernetes cluster is easy, but deploying it on multiple clusters in different regions requires careful planning and consideration of network design, security, and failure handling.
- Multi-cluster deployment can provide high availability, better performance, and geolocality.
- Common pitfalls include issues with networking, automation, and communication between clusters.
- Planning and collaboration between different teams is crucial for successful multi-cluster deployment.
- References to helpful technologies and projects are provided.
The presenters use the example of deploying Apache Cassandra on six nodes across three zones in a single region, and then expanding to two regions with a logical Cassandra data center and two Kubernetes clusters. They emphasize the importance of planning and understanding the building blocks of networking and automation to avoid common pitfalls and ensure successful deployment.