The presentation discusses the evolution of endpoint security solutions and the three main mechanisms used to protect against cyber attacks: static signatures, heuristic rules, and behavioral signatures.
- Static signatures look for indications of compromise in binary sequences or strings in a file or memory dump.
- Heuristic rules calculate a heuristic score based on properties of a file, such as location or API usage, to determine if it is malicious.
- Behavioral signatures monitor API calls and analyze the impact of a piece of code on a system to detect unknown malware.
- The presentation provides examples of creating static signatures and the limitations of relying solely on them.
- The speaker also discusses the challenges of creating accurate behavioral signatures and the need for continued improvement in endpoint security solutions.
The speaker uses the analogy of a cat and mouse game to illustrate the ongoing battle between cyber attackers and endpoint security solutions. They explain that while endpoint security solutions have evolved significantly, there are still successful penetrations of defenses. The presentation emphasizes the importance of using a combination of mechanisms to protect against cyber attacks and the need for continued improvement in endpoint security solutions.