The challenges of detecting malicious behavior in a cloud environment and the importance of understanding the shared responsibility model and API layer.
- Cloud environments have highly dynamic inventory and heavy focus on automation, which can amplify human error.
- Traditional approaches to detecting malicious behavior don't work in a cloud native environment.
- The shared responsibility model includes a missing layer at the API level.
- Understanding the API layer is crucial for detecting threats and understanding the responsibility boundary.
- Cloud providers release services quickly, so it's important to keep up with their offerings.
- Key takeaways include the importance of taking advantage of cloud provider APIs and exploring learning resources.
The speaker notes that with the explosion of cloud services, the perimeter dissolves and there are new attack surfaces waiting to be exploited. They also mention that the intersection of people who understand infrastructure, DevOps, and security is a big gap. The speaker emphasizes the importance of understanding the shared responsibility model and the API layer, as well as taking advantage of cloud provider APIs to make solutions work more efficiently. They also recommend exploring learning resources such as the Cloud Goat and the AWS Flaws mini CTF challenge.