The presentation discusses the importance of governance and contributor strategy in managing open source projects within the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF).
- The CNCF provides resources and templates for governance and contributor strategy to help manage open source projects.
- Governance helps align expectations and decision-making processes within a community.
- Contributor strategy involves motivating and incentivizing contributors to participate in non-code contributions.
- Maintainer circles provide a supportive community for CNCF maintainers to connect and exchange ideas.
- The CNCF encourages participation and contribution to their resources and community.
The presenter emphasizes the importance of having a governance model in place to avoid unhealthy dynamics within a community. They also mention the usefulness of a charter to outline a project's mission, scope, and values to avoid misunderstandings. The presenter encourages participation in the CNCF's maintainer circles to provide support and resources for managing open source projects.
Whether you are trying to build an active, welcoming community, manage contributors' expectations, or motivate members to take on more responsibility, managing an open source project can feel overwhelming. During this talk, TAG Contributor Strategy leads will discuss CNCF resources available to project owners to help achieve exactly that. You'll learn what resources are available, where to find them, and how to get involved to develop new resources for your project and others. Developed for maintainers by maintainers, these resources help projects implement battle-tested best practices from fellow project owners. They include templates for a contributing guide, contributor ladder, governance frameworks, security disclosures, and more. Plus general guidance to grow your contributor base. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Whatever challenge you are facing today, someone surely solved it before. Join this community to exchange ideas, learn from one another, and build a thriving ecosystem of successful open source projects.Click here to view captioning/translation in the MeetingPlay platform!