Tips for keeping contributors motivated and encouraged to contribute to a project
- Clearly communicate goals and expectations to contributors
- Minimize steps and use tools to reduce difficulty of contributing
- Create a welcoming community and make one-on-one connections with contributors
- Develop recognition programs and offer mentoring and swag to contributors
- Formal governance and contributor rules can lower risk and difficulty of contributing
The speaker shared about a recognition program at Linkerd where the community nominates a hero each month and maintainers select based on merit. The program is designed to be fun and engaging, with heroes featured on the website and a blog post written about them. The program recognizes contributions in code, content, and help, which is especially valued as it takes a lot of time. The speaker emphasized the importance of recognizing and encouraging non-code contributors as well.