The presentation discusses the importance of observability in DevOps and how it can be achieved through metrics, tracing, and chaos engineering.
- Observability is crucial in DevOps and can be achieved through metrics, tracing, and chaos engineering.
- Metrics and tracing provide valuable data for observability and can be implemented through tools like Prometheus and OpenTelemetry.
- Chaos engineering can help identify and prevent potential issues in a system.
- Teams should be trained and onboarded on observability practices, including defining service level objectives and alerts.
- Observability should be a team effort and accessible to everyone.
- The speaker encourages learning and collaboration in the open source community to ensure systems are running smoothly.
The speaker mentions a demo where a programming mistake was detected through DNS failure, highlighting the importance of observability in identifying issues. They also discuss their personal experience with implementing OpenTelemetry into GitLab for CI/CD observability.