The presentation discusses the need for data center energy efficiency to combat the climate crisis and reduce carbon footprint. It highlights the impact of increasing data volumes and the need for better resource utilization through innovations and tooling for observability, orchestration, and management. The presentation also emphasizes the role of open-source contributors in promoting sustainability and introduces the CNCf Environmental Sustainability Working Group and Intel's initiatives in this space.
- Data center energy efficiency is crucial to combat the climate crisis and reduce carbon footprint
- Increasing data volumes require better resource utilization through innovations and tooling for observability, orchestration, and management
- Open-source contributors can promote sustainability in everything they do
- The CNCf Environmental Sustainability Working Group fosters an ecosystem of environmental sustainability projects, users, and maintainers
- Intel is leading and driving activities in this space and has initiatives to increase efficiency and reach net-zero emissions
The presentation starts with a story from science fiction about people forced to move from their beautiful home and planet to a desert planet due to the scarcity of resources. This story is used to illustrate the current climate crisis and the impact of the scarcity of resources on our planet.
Accelerated digital transformation and increasing data volumes reinforce the need for data center energy efficiency. From power-aware hardware, better workload design, and smart orchestration, we can reduce energy consumption and lower our carbon footprint. There is a need to accommodate a variety of workloads across domains such as finance, health care, telecommunications, and scientific computing, where connectivity, data gathering, machine learning, and data analytics play a significant role. Optimizations can be made across compute, networking, and storage. Intel, along with the cloud native community, has been working on aligning platforms and technologies to achieve better resource utilization through innovations and tooling for observability, orchestration, and management. Come learn more about these energy sustainability efforts, where to find us in the community, and how to engage to achieve a greener future.Click here to view captioning/translation in the MeetingPlay platform!