The presentation discusses the role of SIG Instrumentation in maintaining the logging and metrics infrastructure of Kubernetes and their initiatives to improve the quality of metrics and logging output.
- SIG Instrumentation maintains the logging and metrics infrastructure of Kubernetes
- They review issues and PRs related to metrics and Kubernetes
- They are involved in features development and announcement related to observability
- They maintain projects such as CubeSat Metrics, Metric Server, and Primitives Adapter
- They are working on implementing structured logging to improve the quality of logging output
- They are deprecating command line options in k-log related to log file handling
- They aim to remove unnecessary code in Kubernetes
One of the initiatives discussed in the presentation is the implementation of structured logging in Kubernetes. This involves rewriting source code to replace unstructured log calls with a variant that takes key value pairs and produces output in an easy-to-parse format. The goal is to make the logging output more structured and easier to ingest in any kind of logging pipeline. This initiative required a lot of work and contributions from many people, but it is an important step towards improving the quality of logging output in Kubernetes.