Tips for Building an Effective Boot Camp for Learning Kubernetes
- Include a mix of learning materials such as blog posts, visual guides, summaries and explanation videos, hands-on exercises, documentation, and stories
- Organize the materials in a way that each new thing learned sets up for success and topics that follow it
- Consider the architecture of the Kubernetes cluster and how it will be used
- Familiarize with load balancers and different hosting options for Kubernetes
- Constantly get feedback and improve the boot camp
- Introduce other cloud native technologies or more advanced topics like networking
The speaker mentioned that hands-on experience can be one of the most effective ways to solidify information, but it should always be given as a follow-up to that information itself. Putting a lab into a boot camp where participants play around with Kubernetes quads and services won't be an effective teaching exercise if they don't have enough information about pods and services to understand and appreciate what they're doing, which can lead to a lack of understanding about what's happening and more confusion.