The tutorial explores the use of OpenTelemetry for end-to-end observability data collection on Kubernetes. Participants will learn how to instrument applications using auto-instrumentation, deploy the OpenTelemetry collector, and collect traces, metrics, and logs.
- Observability is about understanding applications by looking at metrics, logs, and traces
- OpenTelemetry is a neutral approach to ship telemetry data
- The OpenTelemetry project includes a specification, API, SDK, data model, tools for generating traces, and a collector
- The OpenTelemetry collector can be run on Kubernetes or locally
- The tutorial covers manual and automatic instrumentation
- The OpenTelemetry operator can be used to integrate with Prometheus and get logs from nodes